Sunday, June 25, 2006

What's in a Name...

By providing an explanation of the title of this blog, I hope to accomplish two tasks. 1) Define RooRides, a right which I reserve by making up the word. 2) Describe the nature of future posts on this blog.

The name RooRides arose from an encounter I had with a certain Australian liar. She will remain nameless. I will just refer to her as liar. This spring break I was able to go to Australia (please feel free to send hatemail to hahahahaiwenttoaustraliaforspringbreak@hotmail.com). One morning, I was sitting at breakfast with my good friend, D-dub, where we had the "pleasure" of meeting liar. We were discussing extremely important topics like why the pepper smelled funny in Australia and what they feed the spiders to make them sooo freakishly huge! The conversation drifted to what the fearless duo had planned for the day. We, d-dub and myself, had decided to go on a nature walk to find the elusive Kangaroo (by elusive I mean more common than cows in the midwest). At this point, liar (a native Australian deemed expert on all things Australian), asked if we were going to ride the Kangaroos. Ride the Kangaroos, are you kidding me????....I was expecting to just see the Kangaroos maybe pet them or if I was an extremely good girl, feed them some Kangaroo treats like the bubble gum wrapper in my pocket. I never thought that I would have a chance to saddle one up and take her for a ride!!!! Well, as I was strapping on my imaginary chaps and boots, liar bursts into my daydreaming with a high-pitched laugh. In retrospect, the laugh was very similar to the cackle of the wicked witch of the west. Once she was fully satisfied with her laughing fit, the following dialogue occurred:
Liar: "Did you actually think you could ride a Kangaroo?"
Me: "Uh..........yup."
Liar: "HAHAHAHAHAHA etc...... They told me that Americans would believe that if we told them but I never thought it was true!!!!" (more HAHAHAHAHA...)

At this point, I have mentally removed the imaginary boots and am beating her over the head with them. Needless to say....I was done talking to liar. Disheartened, we went to find the apparently "just for looks" Kangaroos.

In closing, some would call my willingness to believe liar being gullible (thank you D-dub). However, I like to think of it as wanting so badly to believe in the innate goodness of mankind. Now I know that had the roles been reversed I would have sold that Kangaroo riding story with every part of my being, even resorting to asking her saddle size and trail preference, but there is still a part of me that believes that not all people are as sarcastic as myself. In the end, I am left with a slightly less exciting story than actually getting to ride a Kangaroo and a name for my blog!

5 Comments:

At June 26, 2006 9:31 AM , Blogger Plankiest said...

Yay yay yay!

This is awesome! I love it! I knew you would be hilarious!

I am so excited to see what you come up with next!

 
At June 28, 2006 12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will leave this anonymous to leave myself some dignity. Though this blog is ammusing, I believe that some are putting alot of pressure on you for your next blog. I am here to aleviate this pressure some, by saying, the second entry is never going to be as good as that first taste.
I hope that this has helped relieve some of that pressure and allow you to write about your life without thinking about wether or not it will live up to our expectations.
--- You know who

 
At June 28, 2006 12:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a long wrey around to make a comment but I love ya so I will. I enjoyed your blog because Now I wonder what that was I rode. I hope you keep your blog going so I what you are doing

 
At June 28, 2006 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...


You are not gullible

 
At July 12, 2006 4:11 PM , Blogger Plankiest said...

It is becoming clearer and clearer that #2 in the first paragraph is a lie.

Liar.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home