911....emergency?
This weekend I was traveling. Unfortunately, there were a couple of serial killers doing some "business" in the same city. I had read about them in the newspaper prior to leaving. I took the standard precautions of notifying my next of kin, giving suggestions for my funeral (including hiring Brad Pitt to attend my funeral, acting as just one of the many broken hearts I left behind), and basically freaking out. It was only after talking with my Dad that I decided that everything would be fine. He said with great concern and wisdom, "if you are worried about those shootings, you should be more concerned about the 5 shootings that happen there every night!" Thanks Dad...... you can cover the Brad Pitt bill.
After packing my bulletproof jean jumper, we were on our way. The weekend was going fine without any "popping of caps" until last night. We were driving back to our hotel when we noticed a couple of helicopters in the air. That seems normal but what is that big shiny light? That would be a search spotlight and it seems to be circling our general area. YES!!!!
Don't worry.......we immediately rolled our windows up because we all know that Hyundai Sonatas come standard with bulletproof glass. As a bonus, our navigational system also knew how to navigate us through the scariest parts of town on the way back. Pretty sure we passed every junkyard, empty building, and sniper hiding place there was. My co-worker, sweet tea, decided at this time to make the statement, "I'm not ready to die".
Now typically, I would have placed my faith and trust in our wonderful law enforcement agencies. However, I had a run-in with them earlier this week that makes me think otherwise, (don't worry Mom....it was only slightly illegal :-)
I had been housesitting for a couple of days. The owners (I will keep you anonymous because we all know that there are thousands of people reading this blog who have no idea who I am talking about) have a very "sophisticated" alarm system. By "sophisticated", I mean you have turn it off within a certain period of time or they call the police. Complicated!!!! I had previously set the alarm off before when I was there a couple of years ago. The owners were called and the police came..... you know,.... that old chestnut. Anyway, I kind of knew the drill. So when the alarm was set off this time, I was prepared. The point were I lost faith in this "security" system was when the police arrived and all I have to tell them is, "it's all ok.....I'm just housesitting and set the alarm off. Ooops!" TA DA....that was all the information that they needed. They thanked me and left.
Now, either I have the most honest face ever, or it is really easy to rob somebody. Having been through this before, I was soo tempted to come to the door with the silver stuffed in my pockets and a painting under my arm and see if I would get the same result. I understand that in this case, it worked out really well for me. I would just like to think that they would ask just a few more questions before letting the person who set the alarm off re-enter the house. Just a thought! So I have decided to list some apparently suitable excuses for setting an alarm off:
1) I'm housesitting
2) It's OK...they asked me to move this stuff for them
3) I'm doing an inventory of their electronics
4) I'm their realtor and I'm getting ready to put the sign in the yard
5) Basically, anything!!!!
So, I guess you can understand why I might be a little nervous.......

3 Comments:
Looove the sniper discussion. What about Matthew Mcconaughey? Don't you want him to mourn you, too? And, seriously?? Speaking as the anonymous homeowner, this amuses and disturbs me at the same time. Upon further thought, the only silver that you could take would be the earrings that I had with me. Oh, I know, you could take the genuine 'canvas transfer' Thomas Kinkaide print that, due to over-marketing, is now worth at least tens of dollars. This does give amazing scope for pranking, doesn't it? Yeeeessss...
I remember that happening a few years ago! Luckily it wasn't a bank-you have to have a certain sign or they draw guns on you...no way around it.
Very funny-Keep writing!
Ahem. I just found out about this blog from a certain coworker of ours linking to it. And I'm hurt.
She's right about you and the way you make anyone with a pulse crack up. And I'm a little upset you didn't trust me with the funny.
*sniff sniff*
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home